Table of Contents
How to install Raspbian Stretch
If you have not ordered your Raspberry Pi yet, I suggest you buy one from here. (Raspberry Pi) Once you have your Raspberry Pi built, plug in power cable, keyboard, HDMI (to TV or monitor) and a network cable.
If you plan on using this as a headless device, step 7 will tell you how to easily access your Pi remotely.
- Go to https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
- Download the desired image you want to use.
- Extract the Stretch zip file.
- Download and install Etcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/
- Insert MicroSD card into USB reader and plug into USB port
- Launch balenaEtcher, select the Stretch image you extracted, verify the correct drive and click on Flash!
- When it is completed if you want to use your Pi without any keyboard mouse or monitor, then in the Fat partition of the SD card, you will see files. In there create a blank file called SSH. Be sure it has no extension on it. This will enable remote access via SSH
- Remove MicroSD card and plug it into your Pi, and power on
- Log into your Pi – username: pi password: raspberry
- If you are connecting via SSH, then you can use the hostname raspberrypi. If that does not work, you will need to get the IP address. That you can get by logging into your router (assuming that is what delivers the IP addresses on your network) and find all the connected devices to your network. Search for raspberrypi and use the IP address.